Chicken Shawarma :- At home, make a robust and tasty Chicken Shawarma! It’s better than takeout any day of the week, and it’s ideal for lunch at work or school. My creamy white garlic sauce for Chicken Shawarma also lends a fresh creamy flavour to the dish.
- 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves (grated)
- ¼ cup of fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- Two teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of sumac
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric & ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon & black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup of yogurt
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove (grated)
Note: The chicken can be grilled on the grill or under the broiler in the oven.
Marinate the chicken as follows:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, spices, olive oil, garlic cloves, and lemon juice. Toss the chicken thoroughly to coat it. Toss in the onion slices and stir well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight to marinate.
- Allow the chicken to remain at room temperature for an hour before cooking if marinating overnight.
- To make the sauce, whisk together all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. If necessary, season with salt. This sauce can keep for 4-5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Set the broiler to high and set the oven rack directly beneath the broiler element.
- On a metal baking tray, place a rack.
- Place the chicken on the rack and broil for 16-18 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To prepare the grill, preheat it and then place the marinated chicken on it. Cook for roughly 20 minutes over medium-high heat. After 10 minutes, turn the chicken over. The chicken is done when its internal temperature hits 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chicken in a mixing bowl.
- Serve the chicken by slicing it into strips.
- Toss your preferred greens (lettuce, shredded cabbage, etc.) with chopped tomatoes, onions, and cucumbers in a salad bowl, then top with chicken shawarma pieces. Serve with shawarma sauce drizzled on top.
- To make the Shawarma Pita, lightly toast the pita. In the centre of the pita, spread 1 tablespoon of the sauce. 1/4 cup salad (any shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and onion pieces) on top Add additional sauce and chicken shawarma on top. Make a roll and serve!