Dalgona Candy :-Squid Game’s Dalgona Confection (Korean Honeycomb Toffee) is the candy that has become the latest internet challenge!
Equipment you will need to make Dalgona Candy:-
- stainless steel ladle with a 4-ounce well
- metal chopsticks
- hotteok press
- silicone baking mat
- 1-to-3-inch of cookie cutters in any shape
- ice pop sticks
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
- Place 1 ice pop stick in the centre of a sheet tray lined with a silicone baking mat. Remove from the equation.
- Add the sugar to a 4-ounce ladle set over low heat, about 2 inches over the flame. Stir frequently with chopsticks until the sugar dissolves and turns pale light yellow, about 2 minutes (it should smell like caramel and resemble diluted honey).
- Remove from the heat after adding the baking soda and whisking rapidly for 5 seconds, still working 2 inches above the flame. Continue whisking for about 10 seconds, or until the baking soda is entirely dissolved and the sugar has doubled in volume, gotten frothy, and turned a light caramel colour.
- Scrape the sugar onto the tip of the ice pop stick on the silicone mat using a rubber spatula right away. As you pour, keep a good circular shape to ensure the candy is crushed in an even circle. 3 to 5 seconds later, quickly and softly press down with the hotteok press until the candy is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. As the candy begins to set, gently lift the hotteok press and stamp with a cookie cutter within 5 to 10 seconds, being careful not to press all the way through. Remove the cookie cutter and allow the ppopgi cool for 2 to 3 minutes, or until solidified. Before creating the next batch of ppopgi, rinse the equipment in hot water and dry fully.
- A hotteok press is a hand-held presser that is commonly used for hotteok, a Korean sweet doughy pancake, but is also suitable for dalgona candy.